Thursday, September 2, 2010

 16 out of 40 chosen for critique














4 that were chosen by group members in critique








           



revised final 4 



Wednesday, September 1st, students and myself arrived with 40 thumbnail sketches of our dot images.  We were then asked to choose 16 of our images, 4 for each category of the Gestalt visual psychology we were studying.  Students then held group critiques over images each student had produced with regards to composition and placement according to Gestalt psychology in order to choose 1 image out of the four for each category.  To start off my critique, the critique e(myself) was required to maintain silence as Henry, J. D., Michael, and Edith stated any patterns or habits they noticed in my sixteen images produced.  Upon scanning my images the critique’ers felt that I frequented the use of an exaggerated scale shift.  It was also stated that I “needed more variety” in my dots.  I noticed a habit in my process as well that would be probably impossible for my group members to recognize, but as I was working on these dot images my eyes were attracted to the edges of the frame.  I found comfort in working from outside to inside, meaning I drew the dots closer to the frame first and worried about the ones in the middle after that.  After my habits had been identified, my group members began to categorize my images.  While my images were being sorted through one of the images was “disqualified” by a group member because I had two too many dots.  The group had favored the largest amount of dot images for the Gestalt characteristic “proximity”, the second largest amount was for “continuance”, then “similarity”, and then “closure.”  After the group had chosen my four images I went back through the rest of the images that were not critiqued and actually found a image with stronger continuance then what I had chosen and an image with stronger similarity then what I had chosen.  I think the group critique helped me very much on sharpening my eye for seeing principles of Gestalt psychology and also allowed me to strengthen my final four dot images.


No comments:

Post a Comment